Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"The Wrap Party"

Though I've only been able to watch it once (I know, I know, where are my priorities?), I was so impressed with this episode, in a different way than I've been impressed with any of the other episodes.

I had subconsciously been expecting every episode to follow the format Sorkin/Schlamme had set up in the past few weeks, which is not a bad format and lends itself well to drama (we all know the drama of deadlines). So I was pleasantly surprised to experience an episode that really had nothing to do with the production of the Studio 60 show itself and still had all of the drama.

I think the only part of this episode that had the same flavor as previous episodes was the beginning with Lauren Graham. The funny part about that scene is that I felt like it must be hard for actors to portray themselves - ostensibly she's hosting a comedy show as herself, but the reality is that she ends up acting as a character of herself. It's like a metaphorical Escher.

The major theme I came away with was that everyone has value, and we have a responsiblity to seek out the value of every person. Sometimes that delivers unexpected results - Cal discovering the life story of the seemingly crazy old man who turned out to be a part of history, both in the world and in Hollywood. (Sorkin/Schlamme did a fabulous job developing the already likable but minor character of Cal in this episode.) Matt demonstrated the value of his friendship with Simon by going to the Improv with him and not being a jerk when he ended up being right. And though I don't know how they possibly have room for another character in this show, the new writer shows a lot of promise.

The brilliance of the writing of this show is that this theme was even illustrated from the reverse. Jack's version of Hollywood is being challenged at every turn, and his power over other people is slipping out of his grasp. His control over his world and the people in it is being threatened by people who value other people over money or power.

That's all I have to say about the show. On the other hand, what on earth is NBC doing pulling Studio 60 for a week to show Friday Night Lights?!?

1 comment:

Ashlee Liddell said...

Okay, so I got your invite to contribute, but like I understand all that info! Sheesh....

I have been mulling over the storyline following the parents/son and its parallel in my own life more....was thinking I should put it to words.... perhaps I will figure out the contributing thing!